Staying Busy

Thursday, February 05, 2009

After an amazing weekend filled with meeting famous important people (some may not agree), relaxing, football, hot tubbing, and skiing, we are both back to reality. Ruth has been hittin' the books hard while trying to keep pace with the interviews she has this week. She is interviewing for a spot to attend a Summer Leadership Program for one of the large accounting firms. Last night we atteneded a 'meet the interviewers kick off dinner' at the new Hinckley building. It is important to understand that every accounting student there was there to impress there interviewer. When we sat down to eat with Ruth's interviewer, it became obvious that the last think he wanted to talk about was accounting! A girl on the table who was trying to make a statement by asking "So, tell us why you moved from KPMG to PwC?" What she really was saying was, "I really want you to notice me, so that I can attend this Leadership program." After quickly shrugging off the question, the interviewer asked us about skiing. He went around the table and asked if we skied or snowboarded. You would think that he would go around asking, 'what do you want to do with an accounting major?' He then asked, "Do we have any BYU football fans here?" Not too long after, he learned that my dad was Danny Plater, all accounting talk was over and all he wanted to talk about was sports even after the program was over, he continued talking to us and asking about BYU sports. He really like Ruth and I, and future golfing plans were talked about.

Work is going well. I am currently leading my team in almost every stat category. I think I could be hired as a Team Leader but it is a full time position. However, if i work from 6:00am-2:00pm, it would work just fine.

The flagship application is coming along great. I have taken three chinese aptitude tests that contribute to my application acceptance. All three tests are about $100 but luckily the fees have been waved (thanks to your tax dollars- federally funded and/or tithing). All three are worldy recognized and can be put on resumes. I scored an Advanced-mid on my OPI or Oral Proficiency Interview and yesterday I scored an Advanced-high on my listening comprehension. The first test's results (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) have not come back from China. Interviews, I believe, are in two weeks. A few weeks ago at the internship fair in the WILK, I talked to the regional NSA representative. I asked her a lot of questions. She told me that the NSA will actually pay for an MBA, class by class, at one of the universities near Fort Meade Maryland. Universities include George Washington, Hopkins and Georgetown. I got really excited!!!!!

Since the kidney stone, we both have been very healthy! Two days ago, however, we learned my good friend Brett whom we spent the last weekend with in Park City, came down hard with mono...

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Jordan, I hereby appoint your the official Plater family blogger. Sorry Ruth...but Jordan actually tells us what's going on!! :-)

Congrats to both of you for hard work that sounds like it's going to really pay off--I hope things work out with the leadership and flagship programs! And I hope you go to a sweet East Coast school so that we can come crash at your house and go tour the big cities while you watch our 17 rowdy little kids.

Brianon said...

exciting times! i'm wishing you both luck with interviews and such, and hoping that you've gotten to relax a bit this weekend! also i hope that you don't have the mono.

Elise said...

still supporting that "healthy" comment, jordan?

Amy Collyer said...

Wonderful blog post! Like Rachael, I appreciate hearing what is actually going on! :) It is good to hear that everything is going so well right now.

Also, I can't believe that we survived last week (especially you guys - with midterms AND interviews AND dinners)! Sometimes I feel like students are invincible! :)

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground